Born in China, David Xu started learning drawing and painting when he was ten years old. David graduated from China Academy of Fine Arts (formerly Zhejiang Academy of Fine Arts) with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1986. Over the past few decades David has taught painting and drawing lessons to architectural students in a university, worked as an art editor and graphic designer for a university press. David currently works as a senior illustrator and graphic designer for a major Toronto based architectural design company. Throughout these experiences, however, his desire and passion for realism in art have never faded. Despite his expertise in a variety of media, David believes that the basic principles are common to all. Because of this approach, he is able to easily adapt his creativity and talent to new avenues, painting as masterfully with a mouse and keyboard as he does with a paintbrush or pen and ink.
Art is part of my life. I draw through observation; I paint from life experiences. Every time I put pencil to paper or brush to canvas, I listen to my heart singing: life is beautiful. I want people viewing my artwork to have the same feeling. I seek to capture the wonderful moments of time and nature with colorful light and shadow, bouncing off each other. Oil and soft pastels are my favorite materials. European Old masters and French Impressionists are major influences. Mother Nature and the beautiful things around me and in my life are great inspirations for me to paint.
* 2010, Second Place, PEREZ FINE ART GALLERIES "SPRING 2010" ONLINE EXHIBITION.
* 2008, Best Portfolio Award, International Portrait Art Festival, Portrait Society of Canada.
* 2008, International Portrait Arts Competition Top Finalist, International Portrait Art Festival, Portrait Society of Canada.
* 2008, Terry Ludwig Pastels Award II, Best Portrait of 17th Annual Open Juried Show, Pastel Artists of Canada.
* 2008, Fist Place Award, Royal Agriculture Winter Fair, Celebrating the Best of Best Art Showcase.
* 2008, Award of Excellence for The Best of Still Life, The Don Valley Art Club Spring Celebration
* 2008, People’s Choice Award, Don Valley Art Club.
* 2007, Honorable Mention, The Don Valley Art Club.
* 2006, Honorable Mention, The Don Valley Art Club.
* 1997, Award For Excellence, 12th Annual International Competition and Exhibition of Architectural Illustration.